F-M is extremely fortunate to have an exceptional district-wide program in the visual and performing arts – one that continues to gain national recognition for excellence. A recent survey of public and private school programs throughout the country has identified the Fayetteville-Manlius School District as one of the top 100 school districts in America for quality music education.
A large percentage of High School students participate in F-M music activities. There are two choirs, two bands, three orchestras, and music theory and voice classes. Co-curricular activities include Jazz Ensemble, Pep Band, Marching Band, Chamber Orchestra, Swing Sixteen and Chorale, as well as participation in All-County and All-State Music Festivals.
Additionally, students entertain audiences with a fall play, the spring musical, and at “Showboat,” their annual talent show. Our students display their talents in performances and exhibits at the High School, in our community and in more distant sites.
We are fortunate to have an involved support group of parents to help out with the many activities throughout the year. The Backstage Backers contribute time and talent to our department and our students, selling tickets, sewing costumes, serving cast buffets and refreshments, and providing support in various ways.
Backstage Backers is a group of volunteers who support these very active programs and the enthusiastic and talented students at the high school. They assist by:
• Coordinating volunteers to sell tickets, usher, and sell refreshments at student productions;
• Hosting receptions, including the Senior Farewell reception in the spring;
• Providing volunteers and coordinating support for fundraisers for the traveling performing groups;
• Providing a dress rehearsal dinner and volunteer support for the spring musical, including help with costumes, makeup, sets and the playbill;
• Providing support for the All-County and NYSSMA festivals held in the district; and
• Sponsoring several student awards as well as a scholarship each year to a graduating senior who will be pursuing a career in the arts.
There is always a need for more help, and your involvement is welcome. If you have any questions, please contact the F-M High School Music Office at 692-1916.
We invite you to join us as a Patron of the Arts at F-M High School. One need not have children currently participating in the programs to appreciate the genuine efforts and talents of our young people and the skill and dedication of the teachers and staff involved in the arts at F-M. Your contribution will help us continue to support the activities of these deserving students and will be greatly appreciated.